coming to light emanation
beyond the veil what lies beneath
lunar flight devil in the detail
in the garden
on her back
taking hold odyssey
into the light alight
all images copyright of Kali van der Merwe
Dark Light – images of re-wakening
Scientists have discovered the visible world accounts for less than 5% of the matter in the universe. They have little understanding of what the other 95% is composed of and termed it dark matter and dark energy. We are in the dark and the cosmos is composed of the dark.
Analogous is the genesis of my images, which are birthed at night and emerge from a subliminal place in myself.
I use a photographic technique called Light Painting to give image form. It employs long exposure and movable light sources, breaking away from the literal into the interpretive, allowing for the visionary to manifest.
My process is one of inner awakening, searching for intersections where personal meets primal, individual becomes archetypal, human touches divine.
I use my female body to explore these depths. Invariably I am naked, casting off culture for a more essential reality.
This solitary creativity frees me from inhibition and translates my inspiration directly without the gaze of another.
My rational self is confined to the technical details of the camera, allowing my unconscious self, freedom to surface through gestural performance in front of the lens.
Painting in light enables me to transcend corporeal reality, transforming flesh into vital energy forms and allowing the mythic to manifest. In this space, I find intuitive dialogue with a myriad of primordial selves.
My images are forged directly in camera. There is no digital manipulation involved. I prefer to work with mediated chance, fusing locality with temporality.
My intention is to re-awaken and re-invigorate the female spirit in all her ancient and contemporary multiplicity.